Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Musical Day

Seeking beauty in my dreary life, today I visited that quaintest of emporia, the CD store. I bought a collection of Bach's solo violin works, a Mastodon record, and Charles Ives' 2nd & 4th symphonies.

I get home and there's a big fat care package from my pal Ace in Yonkers, a belated birthday present that contains CDs as diverse as Yo-Yo Ma playing Bach, the new Modest Mouse, Van Halen I ("Runnin' with the Devil"! rawk!), and some Beck I haven't yet heard; along with artsy ephemera that Noo Yawk intelligentsia must attract like magnets draw iron filings.

So a sonically happy day. Couple that with the fact that I have several good books lined up to read (including Guns, Germs, and Steel, which I've been meaning to get to for more than a year), I'm aurally and intellectually well-provisioned, so bring on the Apocalypse (we won't lose power, will we?).

No comments: